Sunday, March 23, 2014

Elam Farmer

Elam Farmer (son of Elam Farmer and Lucy Nunnelly) was born before 1745. He died in 1811. He married an unknown woman. The unknown woman died before 1795.

Children of Elam Farmer and unknown woman:
1.  George Farmer was born in 1765.
2.  Tabitha Farmer was born on February 13, 1775.
3.  Elam Farmer died before 1811.

He married Polly Harding on September 10, 1795 in Lunenburg County, Virginia. Polly was born before 1765.

Children of Elam Farmer and Polly Harding are:
4.  Anna Farmer was born between 1800 and 1810 in Virginia.
5.  Female Farmer was born between 1800 and 1810 in Virginia. Female Farmer died before 1811.

Notes:
Some people list the Elam Farmer who married Polly Harding was the son of Lodowick Farmer and Sarah Cheatham. Lodowick's will, however, does not mention a son named Elam. There is a connection between Elam and the Cheathams, as we see several mentions of Cheathams in Elam's will, but being that his father, Elam Farmer married second to Phebe Cheatham, that would explain the connection. Phebe and Sarah were sisters. Both children of Benjamin Cheatham and Grace Williams.
Anna Farmer may be the daughter of George and his first wife. I have not been able to find her name. Since Polly and Elam married in 1795, she would not be the mother of the older children who were already married by 1811. Anna is the only unmarried daughter mentioned, so it is possible that she belongs to Polly.
Elam Farmer does not name a son named Elam in his will, but the fact that he lists himself as a “sen'r” in the will implies he did have a son named Elam. Since this son is not mentioned in the will, we may assume he had already passed on, leaving no children.
There is a Mary Blankenship listed in the will of Elam. She has two sons, William and George. Elam leaves them all something, but does not specify his relationship to Mary. If anyone knows Elam and Mary's relationship, please let me know!

Sources
1810 Census – Chesterfield County, Virginia
Lunenburg County, Virginia Marriages
Husband: Elam Farmer Wife: Polly Harding Surety: Robert Harding Date: 9/10/1795
Chesterfield County, Virginia Deed
05 OCT 1785 As Elam Farmer of Chesterfield County, he purchased 100 acres on the Banister River in Halifax Co., VA.
CHESTERFIELD COUNTY , VA Will Book # 7 pg 632 – Will of Elam FARMER Senr
In the name of God amen I Elam FARMER Senr of Chesterfield County being in perfect mind and sound memory thanks be to God for the same do make and ordain this my last will and testament in manner and form following to wit. Impremis, I give and bequeath to my wife Polley FARMER twenty dollars to her and her heirs forever. Item, my will and desire is that at my wife Polly Farmer death the negroes in her possession, to wit Sarah, Hall and Stephen and their increase descend to my daughter Anna FARMER to her and her heirs forever. Item, I give and bequeath to my daughter Anna FARMER one negro by name of Cesar to her and her heirs forever. Item I give and bequeath to my son George FARMERs children my land and plantation whereon I now live also two negroes, to wit, Dick and Abram to be equally divided amongst them all to them and their heirs forever. Item I lend to Mary BLANKENSHIP during her natural life, one negro by name of Matt and one feather bed and furniture which I now lye on also I lend to her four acres of land which I purchased of her sons William & George and at her death the four acres of land to descent to her son William BLANKENSHIP him and his heirs forever and the negro Matt and Bed and furniture to descend to Pagy BOLES and Dorcas BOLES them and their heirs forever. Item, I lend to my daughter Tabitha BOLES four negroes to wit, Peg, Kate, Dolly, Sharper and (?) and their increase during her natural life and at her death to be equally divided amongst all her children. Item, I give and bequeath to Pagy BOLES and Dorcas BOLES four negroes, to wit Isbel, Lydda, Spencer and Pall and their increase also to each of them a feather bed and furniture to thempg. 633and their heirs forever, and if either of them should dye before they come of age or marry the one living to have all that is given to them both. Item I give and bequeath to Pagy BOLES and Dorcas BOLES, two hundred dollars each to them and their heirs forever...Item, I give and bequeath to Mary BLANKENSHIP one white cow to her and her heirs forever...Iem, my will and desire is that all my estate both real and personal that is not already given away be sold and my just depts paid and the balance be equally divided amongst Tabitha BOLES, Anna FARMER, Pagy BOLES and Dorcas BOLES them and their heirs forever. Lastly, I nominate and appoint Benjm GOODE whole and sole executor to this my last will and testament. In Witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this twentieth day of March one thousand eight hundred and eleven. Signed by his mark Elam FARMER Senr (seal) Acknowledged in presence of Joseph GOODE, Isham CHEATHAM, John GOODE Junr. P. S. My will and desire is that Benjm GOODE be and he is hereby appointed guardian for Pagy BOLES and Dorcas BOLES to take charge of their legacy and have the (?) and management of them until they come of age or marry. Given under my hand and seal this eighteenth day of September one thousand eight hundred and eleven. Signed by his mark Elam FARMER (seal) Test. Joseph GOODE, William BLANKENSHIP Senr and Wm GOODE. In Chesterfield count y court December the 14, 1812. The last will and testament of Elam FARMER Senr deceased was proven by the oath of Joseph GOODE and Isham CHEATHAM subscribed witnesses, and the codicil a(?) was proven by the oath of the said Joseph GOODE and William GOODE subscribing witnesses thereto and ordered to be recorded. On a motion of Benjamin GOODE executor named in said will who took the oath prescribed by law and entered into bond with security conditioned as the law directs, a....pg. 634 (Note: Next page not copied)

2 comments:

  1. My tree also includes Elam Farmer and Phoebe Cheatham, as the parents of Mary Farmer, supposedly born in 1739 (birth dates are very problematic). This Mary Farmer, according to the family trees I have been given and see online, married William Blankenship, son of John Buck Blankenship (son of famous Ralph Blankenship 1662), and Ann Elizabeth Hudson. Many researchers support this, but I can not find support for the marriage. The Mary Blankenship in Elam Farmer's (and Polly) will caught my eye, especially with her two sons mentioned, one being William. I would like to find documentation who this Mary Blankenship is and I am wondering if you have any additional information on this group!! You have a great blog and I commend you as a young mother for taking the time and energy for this genealogy work!!! Well done! my email is cmcbride@chartermi.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! I am just seeing your comment. I still haven't learned any more about this Mary. I do suspect her husband was named William Blankenship as a William Blankenship Senr. witnessed the will. I would assume that was Mary's husband. I have a Mary Farmer as a daughter of Elam Farmer and Phebe Cheatham, but I have her husband as a Mr. Russell. Elam, who married Phebe, names daughter Mary Russell in his will. Part of me wants to believe Mary Blankenship is the daughter of the Elam whose will she appears in, but since he doesn't specifically names her as a daughter, I haven't included her in the main genealogy.

      Delete